Monday, May 27, 2024
HomeusWashington trial begins for parents who allegedly starved a teenage boy to...

Washington trial begins for parents who allegedly starved a teenage boy to death

The trial has started for parents accused of starving a boy to death nearly three years ago in Washington state.

Prosecutors in opening statements this week said 15-year-old Karreon Franks weighed 61 pounds when he died from starvation and neglect, The Columbian reported.

Felicia Adams, 54, and Jesse Franks, 58, are charged with domestic violence, homicide by abuse and second-degree murder in Karreon’s death in November 2020. They are also charged with two counts of second-degree criminal mistreatment of Karreon’s two younger brothers.

Adams is the children’s aunt. She adopted them in 2012 in California and after that moved with them and Franks to Vancouver, according to prosecutors.

Podhora said evidence will show Karreon had previously been growing and maintaining a healthy weight. He was last seen by a medical provider in July 2019 and weighed 115 pounds, the prosecutor said.

Karreon’s teachers at Evergreen Public Schools described him as active with a vibrant spirit, Podhora said. But he said things took a sharp turn when his school switched to virtual learning during the COVID-19 pandemic.

Podhora said although there was food in the home, the boys didn’t have access to it.

RELATED ARTICLES

Most Popular