Saturday, April 13, 2024
Homenorth carolinaNC Republican drops longshot bid for governor, will run for secretary of...

NC Republican drops longshot bid for governor, will run for secretary of state instead

The Republican field for North Carolina governor next year has been winnowed further as a retired health care executive who announced his bid three months ago is instead now running for secretary of state.

Jesse Thomas of Cary said Wednesday that he decided to suspend his gubernatorial campaign and compete for the seat held by longtime Democratic Secretary of State Elaine Marshall.

Thomas is the second GOP candidate for governor in as many weeks who has decided to run for another post. Former U.S. Rep. Mark Walker, who entered the gubernatorial field in May, said last week that he would instead seek to return to Congress by running for a Greensboro-area district.

In a news release announcing his campaign change, Thomas said if elected he would seek to modernize the agency’s business systems, focus on economic development and urge the General Assembly to advance term limits for the secretary’s position. Such a change would require a constitutional amendment approved by voters.

RELATED ARTICLES

Most Popular