Haiti, US Embassy entrance area plunge into darkness as vandals attack power plant and substations

Parts of Haiti – including an area outside the U.S. embassy – have now plunged into darkness following attacks by vandals on a power plant and four power substations in Port-au-Prince, the country’s national utility says.

Électricité D’Haïti (EDH) said in a statement on X that “several of the company’s premises were sabotaged,” numerous materials were damaged and documents were destroyed “during the latest acts of vandalism perpetrated in recent weeks.”

“Such acts of theft and sabotage only further worsen the financial and technical situation of the company,” it added, noting thatfour power substations and the Varreux Power Plant in Port-au-Prince were “destroyed and made completely dysfunctional,” cutting off electricity to dozens of areas including the “USA Embassy Entrance” and a local hospital.

“Important documents, electrical installations, cables, inverters, batteries as well as computer and office equipment were taken by these thugs,” EDH also said. Authorities are working to restore power to the affected areas.

SENATE VOTES TO CONFIRM US AMBASSADOR TO HAITI

A police officer guards the entrance of the U.S. embassy in Port-au-Prince, Haiti, on Sunday, March 10. (AP/Odelyn Joseph)

The development comes after the State Department revealed Monday that nearly 1,000 Americans have filled out a “crisis intake form” seeking assistance in Haiti.

“It is not hyperbole to say that this is one of the most dire humanitarian situations in the world,” State Department spokesperson Vedant Patel said. “Gang violence continues to make the security situation in Haiti untenable, and it is a region that demands our attention.”

PENTAGON ALERTED TO POTENTIAL ‘MARITIME MASS MIGRATION’ FROM HAITI DURING CARIBBEAN NATION’S SPIRALING CONFLICT

People gather at a crime scene in Port-au-Prince, Haiti, where several people were shot dead on Monday, March 18. (Reuters/Ralph Tedy Erol)

“This is a fluid situation and the number of individuals who have reached out to us through the crisis intake form is approaching a thousand,” he added, referring to the form on the State Department’s website.

“And we’re continuing to monitor the situation closely and evaluate the demand of U.S. citizens, evaluate the overall security situation, evaluate what is feasible when it comes to commercial transportation options, what is feasible for other transportation solutions,” Patel also said, emphasizing that “we have no higher priority than the safety and security of American citizens.”

People react after a dozen people were killed in the street by gang members, in Pétionville, Haiti, on Monday, March 18.  (Clarens Siffroy/AFP via Getty Images)

The State Department previously has said it is aware of several hundred U.S. citizens being stuck in Haiti.

Greg Norman is a reporter at Fox News Digital.

Check Also

Riot police unleash tear gas, water cannons on rowdy anti-Milei protesters in Buenos Aires

Argentine riot police unleashed water cannons and tear gas to disperse protesters who threw sticks, …

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *